The Area – Mizen Head, Killarney / Ring of Kerry
The holiday cottage is on the Wild Atlantic Way and Mizen Head and the Sheep’s Head Peninsula are close by. You will need a car. Durrus village is 2.5km away while Bantry town is 14 minutes drive. Schull and Ballydehob are both within 12 minutes drive while Skibbereen and Baltimore are about 35 minutes away. The house is ideally located for touring the Ring of Kerry and the Beara Peninsula and Kenmare and Killarney are within easy driving distance.
Cork Airport is 1.5 hours away while Shannon Airport is 3.5 hours drive.
Activities in the Area – Sheep’s Head Way, Bantry
We enjoy a drive to the Mizen Head to view the most southerly point in Ireland and go birdwatching or whale watching. The Sheeps Head Way walking route has 90 km of marked walking trails along the peninsula. It is an ideal location for swimming in the sea, kayaking, sailing, There are many islands in West Cork with Whiddy, Bere and Garnish islands in Bantry Bay, Sherkin, Cape Clear and Hare islands to the south in Roaring Water Bay. Guided Activities can be booked on ActivityDays.ie.
There are country markets in Bantry on Friday am, Skibbereen on Saturday am, Schull on Sunday am, where you can purchase local organically produced foods. Durrus and Gubbeen Cheese and many other artisan products are local specialities.
Bantry has a West Cork Music Festival, a Literary Festival, and the Masters of Tradition Music Festival during the summer months.
The local area is well served with a variety of restaurants in different price categories. McKenna’s Guides gives details for the top 100 restaurants in Ireland. The authors live locally and their award plaques are on display in some premises. While everyone’s taste is different here is a list of some which may appeal to you. Most need to be pre-booked during the holiday season. The nearest restaurant Blairs Cove House is 10 minutes walk away. There are 4 Pubs in the village of Durrus with a taxi service home if you want to drink. There are taxis available in Schull and Bantry as well.
About the Area
Distance and Driving time
- Durrus – 2.6km/3 mins drive
- Ballydehob – 8.6 km/8 mins drive
- Bantry – 13km/10 mins drive
- Schull – 13km/10 mins drive
- Skibbereen – 24 km/30 mins drive
- Baltimore and Ferry to Islands – 33 km/38 mins drive
- Cork Airport – 92km/1hr 30 mins drive
- Cork Ferry Port – 110 km/1hr 38 mins drive
- Kerry Airport (via Kenmare and Killarney) – 113 km/2hrs
- Shannon Airport – 201km/3 hr drive
- Nearest Shop and Pub Durrus – 2.6km
- Nearest Restaurant 1km
- Nearest Take away Ballydehob – 8.6km
- Dunmanus Bay – 150m
- Playground with a view Schull
- Sheeps Head Peninsula with 90 km walking routes
- Mizen Head Lighthouse
- Amazing Drives on Headlands
- Bantry House
- Killarney with drive via Lakes, Torc Waterfall and Muckross House
- Ring of Kerry
- Ring of Beara
- Cape Clear Island and trip around Fastnet Lighthouse